Saturday, 21 February 2015

Granny stripe blanket

It's been a while.  Just haven't been able to find any words for a post.  

I have been busy crocheting a granny stripe blanket though, as I felt the need to work with lots of colour during the winter.

random colours

on a single bed

the edging

Lots of inspiration and practical help from Lucy's blog at Attic24 - thank you Lucy!

I wanted it to be a couch sized, snuggle blanket for my daughter to take to uni later this year, but I also wanted it to look good on a single bed to brighten up her uni room.

The stats for those of you interested:

54 stripes (2 rows per stripe).  
Starting chain - can't remember. I think I just hung the chain over a single bed with a bit hanging down each side, but as the blanket works best vertically on a single bed this follows no logic at all!
Random colours from my stash
Edging adapted from Lucy's - I had a few false starts - all down to my inability to read Lucy's edging pattern properly.  In the end I just made the two treble rows, half treble rows so it wasn't so deep, but the rest worked fine when I followed the instructions!

Mr NMDS wanted to know why I was making another blanket when we are awash with them already - for a while I told him I was making another one for Alf (our cat) just to annoy him.  He just doesn't get the need to crochet. . . 

xx

11 comments:

  1. Lovely blanket, the colours are fab. Our cats do love a crochet blanket! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely colours! Like Curtise's feline, ours love a crochet blanket, too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jayne, I love this! The colors are fabulous, and brought joy to me this snowy morning. And in my humble opinion, one can never have too many hand-made blankets, and how wonderful for daughter to have it at college!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those striped colorful blankets. I had one many years ago and now you've made me wonder what ever happened to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this fun granny blanket! You made such a happy one with the colorful stripes - great job!! So good to see you, Jayne! Thank you for stopping by the other day, I was so happy to get your kind comments.
    Now since you mentioned it, I do recall that our cats loved a crochet blanket I bought at an antique shop a couple of years ago... I wonder what's with cats and crochet? :)

    ps You don't have to write a lot - just share whatever is going on with you, it is always fun to see your craft projects or hear your theatre stories. And you probably thrifted a couple of dresses this winter too!! With love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I totally get it. I am a knitting fool. It keeps me sane! Yes yes to bright colors in winter. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't really understand the appeal until you try it ... all hobbies are a bit like that , aren't they? But there's something so magical about settling in to do something and all of a sudden it's three hours later. I love the blanket btw, it looks like a very happy blanket :0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can there ever be enough colourful blankets? And of course crocheting is a need, as is knitting. I have to start donating hats and scarves to the homeless shelters since I knit more than I need just for the sake of knitting. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely thing to send your daughter off to university with. I'm sure it will be cherished long after she finishes school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely thing to send your daughter off to university with. I'm sure it will be cherished long after she finishes school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An absolute object of beauty is your blanket. One look and you'll feel better instantly. AND it provides warmth. I get anxious when I hear the word half treble - it sounds very hard - but I can imagine the meditative tranquility of the process. This is the loveliest gift of all.

    ReplyDelete