Sunday, 12 April 2015

Globe theatre, Grayson Perry and Flamingos

I've had the chance to go into London a couple of times recently.  

My first trip was to catch the Grayson Perry 'Who are you?" exhibition before it finished.  My goodness that man is talented.  I watched the TV shows about the making of his exhibition at the end of last year and thought I must go and boy am I glad I did.  His work is just fantastic and knowing the story behind the work just added to the experience.



One of his vases

Part of a huge tapestry


more tapestry

Map of Days - Self portrait

Another trip with a friend from Yorkshire who came to stay, saw us visiting a roof garden in Kensington with great views over London and flamingos and ducks on the roof


How do they get that cow to stay so still?


View over the rooftops



there's a stream on the roof



and Flamingos 

The sun was shining and it was a lovely place to chill and admire the views.

We also had a tour of the Globe theatre which I have been meaning to do for years.  We had a fab guide who was funny and informative, probably an aspiring actor.


The stage



The standing area 

The exhibition before the tour about how Sam Wanamaker got the Globe re-building project off the ground was fascinating too along with costumes and costume designers talking about their quest for the truth in re-creating authentic costumes of the time.  I love the passion and talent some people have .  That seemed to be a theme for the week  as my friend had stopped off to see the coffin of Richard III before he was re-interned and the story of how his remains were re-discovered and the passion of Phillippa Handley, one of the driving forces behind that project, was fascinating too. 

It's been lovely to get out and about and do some different things

xx

16 comments:

  1. That vase is stunning. I bet seeing an entire collection of his works is amazing all at once. I love special trips into cities for culture, and food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing to see his work, the scale of the tapestries and the detail of his work is amazing. Eating out was involved on both trips too - bargain all day breakfast in Covent Garden preceded Grayson Perry and market food in the city before the Globe tour, both yummy and great value.

      Delete
  2. I know how they keep the cow so still-bolts through to the ground!

    Rooftop gardens fascinate me, as do the vertical gardens you see up the sides of tall buildings. I've grown things in unconventional spaces, but never on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, bolted to the ground, it's so obvious now you say!
      That was the most amazing rooftop garden I've ever seen, definitely a step up from a few planters and artificial grass.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've had a great time out and about :0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful outing you had Jayne! I never knew Perry did art until recently - I thought he was just a celebrity! A pal of FB just posted some photos of his tapestries. I need to read up on him.
    My sister and her two friends celebrated their 50th birthdays by going to England recently - I believe they are heading back today. They visited the Globe yesterday (or was it Friday...the time difference confused me). So envious!
    Saw a documentary on the finding of Richard III - fascinating! I followed what I could on line about his re-internment.
    And that rooftop garden is freaking me out - I am afraid of heights. But it is very cool if I don't think about falling too much. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sister has celebrated her birthday in style with an overseas trip - how fabulous! Do read up on Grayson Perry, I just love his work. Flamingos in a garden on a roof of a building in London was quite surreal in itself xx

      Delete
  6. Good to see a post from you, Jayne, and to hear about your trips to London.
    Love Grayson Perry, he's an interesting and thoughtful artist with lots to say. Are the roof gardens on top of the old Derry and Toms building, where Biba used to be?
    I'd like to visit the Globe theatre properly, I've only been in the bar... Typical! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Curtise, yes I think it is the old Biba building. The garden was hosting a private event the day we went so we visited the bar above and got an aerial view of the gardens. I need to see a show at the Globe now to experience it properly. xx

      Delete
  7. I just did some quick research on Grayson Perry. He is incredible! That is a show I would love to see and a person I would love to meet one day. Visiting London is on my to-do list. You made me even more determined to see it happen. I'm glad you had such a good time on both of these visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I've introduced you to Grayson Perry. His work is incredible and as Curitise says, he is very thoughtful about his subject when he creates a portrait.

      Delete
  8. So good to hear from you, Jayne! You had such wonderful experiences in London. I adore the city from a distance for quite a few years, some day will be there to see and feel the energy too. I am not familiar with Grayson Perry, will read about his artwork. The garden sounds and looks so delightful! And the Globe theatre - some things just so full of amazing history, how great to experience even a little part of it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalia, do research Grayson Perry, he is an interesting character and works in different mediums. I have just booked a ticket to go to see 'As you like it' at the Globe in September on one of my Friday's off work. xx

      Delete
  9. That looks like a great outing! I really like the Grayson Perry vase and how exciting to tour The Globe or see a Shakespeare play there! The rooftop garden is beautiful. I wish we had one on my building but it will not have been built to support one. Maybe I could just sneak a cooperative cow up there. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawna, it was a good outing. Off to Scotland tomorrow so will try and put a post together about my trip when I get back. Been a bit slack on the blogging front. xx

      Delete