Sunday, 13 July 2014

Nine million bicycles in West Yorkshire

Ok, I'm exaggerating, I don't think there were quite as many as nine million but there were a heck of alot of bicycles due to the Tour de France holding a couple of stages in Yorkshire.  I was certainly glad my friend was the one doing the driving on those narrow country lanes with all those cyclists about the place who wanted to say they had cycled the same route as the TdF.

The good people of Yorkshire really got behind the Tour de France coming to their county and all the small villages were decorated beautifully.  I was particularly impressed with all the yarn-bombed bicycles everywhere.  I am not a great cyclist myself - I live in an area called the Chiltern Hills which might give you a clue as to why not, but it was impossible not to get caught up in the fantastic atmosphere everywhere we went.

I met up with two friends I first met in Sydney over 30 years ago.  It was the first time for about 14 years we had all been together and the first time since forever without children in tow.

We had a wonderful time.  The sun shone.  We also managed to spend some time at a festival thanks to my friend's son putting us on the guest list - finally some payback for all those years of children round our ankles!


We started off in Leeds at the West Yorkshire 
Playhouse seeing a play called Beryl about a cyclist, Beryl Burton from Morley
The play was written by Maxine Peake and was a fabulous start to the trip.


You can't visit Yorkshire without taking in a waterfall or two
We saw the race from a hill called Buttertubs Pass 
which slowed down even the best of the cyclists
One farmer painted his entire flock of sheep yellow in honour of the TdF
Cheese Grommit?  Cheese tasting in Wensleydale was scrummy. 


We spent the late afternoon and evening at the festival at Broughton Hall
The sun shone and we watched the second stage of the TdF on the big screen 
before enjoying some live music on the big stage 
and a ceilidh in a small marquee with fabulous musicians


On the way home I had the chance to sleepover 
at an old school friend's in Chesterfield
I had missed the flea market on the Thursday but I managed
to visit the charity shops in town
Chesterfield is famous for the crooked wooden spire on the town church

I also managed a quick visit to Bolsover Castle with my friend
My dad used to work at Bolsover Castle many years ago
and it's the place I feel closest to him now as I always think I
must be looking at some of his work in the rooms somewhere 
as he worked there as a carpenter


On the style front, I think the least said about my style while I was away the better.
I never know what to take and the weather was undecided
In the end I had none of the right clothes and ended up one evening 
cobbling an outfit together from spare things my friend lent me, 
one of which she had been painting in
so I ended up looking like a painter/decorator who had just finished work
and gone straight out for the evening

On the plus side I have been looking for a kimono type garment for a while
and found this in Save the Children in Chesterfield

Dress, thrifted Per Una from a while ago
Not quite a kimono but I liked this Windsmoor long chiffony garment

Bit of pattern mixing which I have been meaning to try for ages
Thanks to Natalia for her advice on making sure one colour 
appears in both patterns for all to be well
I know you lovely style bloggers say if it feels right do it, but I need a few rules
to guide me down the right road!

Linking to Patti's fabulous Visible Monday with all the other lovely links.

Whenever I spend time with my friend from Yorkshire, 
my northern accent and way of talking always returns, 
so no one can understand me for a few days when I get back
The BBC have a handy glossary here which should smooth the process.

xx

23 comments:

  1. I'll be needing one of those glossaries too as many of my dear blogger friends are from the North! Sounds like a wonderful trip, and your new kimono is lovely. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your kimono and perhaps we all need one of those glossaries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a fabulous time with your friends Jayne. Your kimono is beautiful and you wear it well. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love yarn-bombing, but I've never seen it in real life. And I love Maxine Peake, and cheese. I lived in Calderdale for a while - the accent is so friendly. Any time we went to London I couldn't understand a word anyone said! I've never been to Bolsover Castle, but how wonderful for you to be able to see your dad's handiwork there, even if it's not signed.

    You've done an excellent job on pattern mixing, and the kimono is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val, I wasn't sure where Calderdale was as there are a lot of dales in Yorkshire so I had to look on a map. Maxine Peake's play was magnificent, I heard her interviewed on the radio and she said writing a play was more nerve racking than any acting job she has ever done.

      Delete
  5. Jayne, I bow to your pattern mixing! I am serious. This is so bold and beautiful - I really love it. Great find, and great styling!

    What a lovely trip you had!! So happy for you. And I totally understand about living a bilingual life (in a broader sense, dialects are also languages). For me, it is especially hard to be in a situation when hald of people speak only English, and another half speak either only Russian or both. My brain goes bonkers! Another hard one is the end of day. As one my Russian friend say, I don't speak English after 6 pm. :) So I understand that it'll take a while to readjust. Bilingualism can be so tricky. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalia, your explanation of the basic colour rules made me more adventurous. Some days I can barely form a sentence before 6pm but I think that's senior moments often joining together to form one long moment !!

      Delete
  6. You really are looking gorgeous here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your outfit is a triumph - love the chiffony over thingy on you.
    What an adventure and how lovely to meet up with old travelling friends, too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chiffony over thingy is a good description Vix, I didn't know what to call it.
      It was lovely to meet up with friends from my backpacking days x

      Delete
  8. I saw some of the nine million bicycles on the news over here ... well the ones that were around the royals who started the race or something.
    Did you live in Sydney at one stage?
    I understand the packing dilemma ... I always pack too much ... but never the one thing I end up needing ;0)
    Love the outfit.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I went to Oz on a year's work permit in the mid 1980s. I lived on the North shore at Kurrabba Point and worked on the Darling Harbour Project when it was first being developed. I had the time of my life there and loved living in Sydney. xx

      Delete
  9. I love your kimono like garment. My daughter keeps badgering me to get her one so I think they're all the rage at the mo! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Jayne: What a fabulous time you had! Thanks for letting me know about Beryl. It's really interesting about women cyclists, and esp. when bikes were first being used by women - they were seen as 'naughty' and there were all sorts of things that were said about not only the women who rode bikes, but things like "watch out, you'll get stuck with 'bicycle face'"!!
    Your outfit is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many fun and interesting things, and old friends to spend time with -- what a fun trip! I love the photos of the yarn-bombed bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were here! In Yorkshire! In Chesterfield! I've been to all the places you mention here, I've been oohing and ahhing away, sounding quite mad!
    How good to meet up with your old pals and at a festival, no less. I've been passed Broughton Hall but never been in (an old boyfriend's parents lived in Barnoldswick). I love Bolsover Castle, and plan to be in Chesterfield on Thursday for the market.
    I hate packing for trips too, I never feel I have the right things, especially in this country where the weather can do anything and everything, all in one day. But you look lovely in your dress and kimono-esque chiffon, great colours.
    I'd understand you, Jayne, even if those posh Chiltern types can't, the southern jessies! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gutted to miss the flea market - have a browse for me.
      My friend tells me there is a nice cafe and lovely gardens at Broughton Hall next time you are passing.
      Kimono-esque is a great word xx

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a great trip, thank you for the images. Saw Tour de France in Leeds coverage , such amazing support. Your take on the kimono works so well.I remember the accents from a trip to England in the 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good God you've been busy! all fab adventures though, it must be divine to get out without the kids! your outfit is beautiful, the long jacket looks like a kimono, I adore the mix of patterns - my Scouse Aunt always picks her accent back up when she visits from London! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh! Pretty long, kimono-esque piece! Beautiful on you, and the dress beneath as well!
    I've lived where bicycles are practical, but not here. There are zero bike paths, narrow highways, crazy drivers and heat that makes just taking a walk a hazzard. Yet I see the racers out and about. Nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Years ago, I brought my husband home on a visit. We went out for a meal with the extended family, and I noticed my husband was unusually quiet. Later, I asked what was wrong that he'd hardly said a word. Turns out, he'd sat there for the better part of the evening not understanding most of what was being said. Yes, we speak the same language but ever so differently.

    Lovely pattern mixing, and such beautiful, billowy fabric too. Yarn bombing is such a wonderful idea-I hope to see some in person someday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to visit Yorkshire. My hubby spent most of his life in Sheffield and I get daily "lessons". Leeds looks gorgeous, your photos are fantastic and it must have been a balm to the soul to spend the day with your great friend :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete