A while ago the lovely Natalia and Shawna nominated me for a blogger award to share some more facts about myself. It always takes me a while to get round to things but I get there in the end. . . .
- I was born in Chesterfield in Derbyshire. The lovely Curtise has photos of the flea market in Chesterfield in one of her posts here Chesterfield flea Market.
- I now live in a small village in South Buckinghamshire, near the River Thames. The village park was flooded this winter with all the rain we had in the south of England.
source: Bucks Free Press
- This is a photo of my mum and dad in their young days:
- Sadly my mum and dad both died before my two children were born, this is one of the great sadnesses of my life.
- I studied psychology at university in London, although it was called a polytechnic in those days. This is where I discovered my brain does not work like most people as I have no visual imagery in my brain. I have no 'mind's eye' and I cannot hear anything in my head. My tutor said my consolation was I would never be troubled by disturbing images or voices but I would have a boring mental life - all true. He said about 5% of the population are like me
- I love to travel and spent a year backpacking around Australia, New Zealand and Thailand in my younger days. I worked on the Darling Harbour project in Sydney when it was first being built and have fantastic memories of my time in Australia.
My love of VW Combi vans begins
- We have two cats Alfie and Annie. Both rescue cats. I love them both dearly.
Alfie peeping out from my washing basket which is now his
Annie, sleeping peacefully.
- I love to crochet and last year I made lots of these and sold them to raise money for charity. I was amazed people wanted to buy something I had made and sold lots of them which was great
I have just booked two tickets to go and see the Matisse Cut-outs exhibition at Tate Modern in London at the end of May. I am going with one of my closest friends who I met while working as a waitress in a cocktail bar (cue Human League) many, many years ago. I love spending the day with her. It does me the world of good.
Well I have faffed about for so long it's nearly time to go and pick up my son from school. It's his last proper day at school ever - end of an era. Just his A level exams to go (stressful times ahead). Keeping the karma calm.
Thanks to all you lovely ladies who take the time to comment on my blog posts. I had no idea what I was getting into when I started just a very short time ago - you all know who you are... And special thanks to Natalia and Shawna for setting me off down memory lane.
xx xx xx








You are an interesting lady, loved reading this.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fox you were as a young backpacker, quite the adventurer, too. Love your gorgeous cats and Chesterfield rocks, can't wait to go back this summer.
How sad your gorgeous Mum and Dad never got to meet your children. xxx
Thanks Vix xxx
DeleteWhat a fascinating post, Jayne. I am wondering which village in South Bucks you live in? (My sister lives in Dunsmore, near Wendover, and my mum was originally from Little Missenden.) Lovely Chesterfield, I was there again yesterday. Come back for a visit, but make sure it's a Thursday for the flea market!
ReplyDeleteI am absolutely intrigued by the idea of having no visual imagination/"mind's eye". Does that mean your thoughts are entirely verbal? I wonder how that impacts on creativity? You clearly have creative ideas and skills (love the crochet!) but do you not "see" the image of what you want to make in your head first? So many questions, I know, but I am really interested!
Great photo of your parents, so sad that they didn't know your kids. And the back-packing pic is fab too!
Ahh, kitties, lovely!
Have a good weekend. xxx
Hi Curtise, I live near Marlow, that's Marlow Bridge in the photo showing the park all flooded.
DeleteI have no have pictures in my head at all - I think that's why I struggle putting an outfit together! When I first found out that other people had all these pictures in their head I felt really hard done by. My fellow student asked me if I had a picture in my head of the hero in any stories I read and of course I don't, that's why films of books are never not as I imagined them as I don't have any pictures in the first place. As I have only ever had my brain I can't imagine things differently and obviously you are only used to your way of thinking so can't imagine how my brain works. Another friend asked me how I find my way around as she uses pictures all the time and I do rely heavily on street names and am hopeless in the countryside. With my crochet I can only copy designs, I can amalgamate designs together but until I have tried my ideas out and can see them in front of me I have no idea whether they will work or not so things take me much longer. Anyway, I don't know any different so just get on with it. My daughter has quite a busy brain and says sometimes she would love the peacefulness of my brain.
Enjoy the weekend xx
I just loving learning new things about my friends. Adorable pic of you in the van. Just as cute then as you are now. I am intrigued about your lack of visual imagery. You have so many interesting and artist pursuits!! I have the opposite problem in that I feel and see too much! Maybe we could work out a compromise. XXXOOO
ReplyDeleteHi Connie, thanks for popping by - I can't imagine what that must be like to see and feel too much. Yes, a compromise sounds good or a try my brain for the day just for a change.
DeleteInteresting and fun to know more about you. I love the cup warmers you made. The sheep is my favorite.
ReplyDeleteI like the sheep too, he was a commission along with the cow. I made some dogs which were my best sellers so I made lots of those.
DeleteIt is strange becoming a parent when your own are gone. I really guessed my way through the first years of motherhood, and could have used some advice (you know, just someone who could say, "Oh you were just like that at three").
ReplyDeleteI'm completely visual, to the point where instructions are a nuisance-I tend to just look at something, and go off and assemble it. It drives people mad watching me work. I'm fascinated by your ability to do such creative things without visualisation. The brain is such a wonder.
That's exactly it Goody.
DeleteThe brain is indeed a wonderful thing.
Your cup cozies are so very very... well, cozy!! I especially love the sheep and the cow ones. Adorable. :)
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy learning about you, Jayne! Lovely photos of your parents. And the cats. And you in the van - what a cute and pretty girl!! Your trip/work in Australia and other countries sounds so fascinating, I'd like to learn more about it.
You know, I don't consider myself especially talented in visual stuff. I forget hues, I don't remember how things are related in space etc. I wonder if it's something similar to what you describe or not. My brain knows the peacefulness you describe, I don't run in circles (well, not usually). I love being still. But I feel tons! And whenever I do something visual, I just get those feelings out - that's all. That's why I am so attracted to colors these days. I feel so strongly that life supposed to be fun, intense, interesting, intriguing! Colorful, in one word. When I write, I also don't compose ideas/characters etc with a set of rules in my brain. Writing just comes to me. It's all very natural... I think brain is good for practical things, like don't burn yourself by fire so to speak... The creative part comes from deeper side of us - soul. That's how I see it. And when I see your creations, I see the soul (like that blazer you embroidered, for example). I see soul in this post. Creativity comes from your beautiful soul. :)
I really really enjoy getting to know you better! :)
I find your interpretation of the creative process fascinating Natalia. I think I tend to think a bit more pragmatically - and I know I over think things sometimes. I remember you saying in one of your posts that an outfit just came together, I think I should give that a go instead of all my practicing of outfits so I can see what they look like which is exhausting. You always express yourself so well in your writing. xx
DeleteHello Jayne: I too loved reading more about you, and seeing the wonderful photos!!!! I have never heard about your type of brain, and am fascinated! I have been under the weather for days, so I apologize for the short reply - heading back to bed. Hope it stopped raining and that you're having a nice weekend, and again I have to remark that I'm so glad to have 'met' you through your blog.
ReplyDeleteSorry you're not feeling well Carol. I did get quite a bit done today from my to do list. As it was sunshine and showers I also started some new crochet projects before ushering for Ruby Wax at the theatre. Much more productive day.
DeleteHope you are up and about soon and on top form for all the things you do.
You were my first commenter on my first ever proper blog post so of course you will always have a special place in my heart.
I was also intriqued by how your brain works but I've got my questions answered already from the comments above. All the best for your son on his upcoming exams. Keep creating and enjoy life despite the challenges or because of them!
ReplyDeleteYour crochet cup holders look so pretty Jayne. I think I am more visual because like Goody, I get a bit irritated with instructions sometimes and can most times look at things and figure them out which yes, you guessed it, annoys everyone around me!!! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a interesting and great post, best wishes to you .
ReplyDeleteJayne, how did I miss this post? I'm so sorry, but better late than never. I seem to have missed a few posts lately not just yours. I love your crocheted cup sleeves and I would definitely buy one. I 'd want a cow one I think. They are really cute!
ReplyDeleteI am fascinated by this lack of mental imagery thing. I am fascinated by brains in general both how they think and what they think. Most of the non fiction books I read are philosophy, psychology or neuroscience for dummies. I remember I used to get frustrated with my ex because he could not visualise how a room would look painted a certain colour or with a different rug. I guess he has that same kind of brain.
You are a very pretty woman and so adorable in that picture from your back packing days. You have a face I would have liked instantly if I'd met you then. You look like a kindred spirit. Is that odd? LOL I hope not.
Your cats are adorable. Thanks for sharing these things. It's lovely to get to know a little more about you.
xo
No need to apologise Shawna, it's hard to keep up with everything in blog-land. Thank you for your kind words xx
Delete