Sunday, 13 April 2014

Thrifty, crafty style

My DD reminded me recently of my new year statement that I was going to go a whole year without buying any clothes.  This is true, I did indeed make such a statement - but that was before I discovered blogging.  

Well, I have had to re-think that statement somewhat, but in my clear out I did find a very boring, spring coat by Planet which I initially thought I would put in the 'donate to charity' pile.  Then I had an idea to try and do something with it to make it more interesting - now my sewing skills do not stretch to something like the second challenge in the 'Great British Sewing Bee' where Tamara,  Chinelo and team transform a garment into something totally different - this was not going to end up a halter neck top with pencil skirt to match.

Adding decoration was the only realistic option.  So, after some research and a look in my crafty stuff cupboard, this is the story of how a boring, plain coat:


and a dress for a small girl 
(bought from the charity shop as it might come in useful one day):


turned into this:


(still very much a coat)

which I styled:


Jeans -7 for all mankind (car boot sale)
Sandals - years old, Marks & Spencer
Bag - Charity shop - Mother's Day present 
Top - old t shirt, Asda
Beads - my mum's

Much to my son's horror, I also did this to the back



When I asked him to take an 'in progress' photo of the back to check the layout of the design while pinned in place he said '
You haven't been out of the house in that have you?'  
The sub-text of which was 
'I will never, ever be seen out of the house with you if you are wearing that!'  

te-he, what's the point of teenagers if you can't 
embarrass them when out in public

I am not generally a floral person, but as I crocheted some flowers in this design, I am linking to Mis Papelicos and friends: Share in Style: Flowers

xx

28 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, J - this is absolutely fantastic! Everything about it rocks - the fabric from the dress, the buttons (oh the buttons!) and the back of the coat is amazing. Heehee, yep, we're on this earth to embarrass our kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, this upcycling of my current clothes was very much my intention at the beginning of the year, so I am getting back to my original plan. This was a happy marriage of a dress and a coat I feel, with a few crochet flowers thrown in for good measure.

      Delete
  2. That looks really brilliant, well done you! Love a good makeover, and you've jazzed up that coat a treat. Embarrassing the kids is just a happy by-product! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it certainly needed jazzing up.

      Delete
  3. You have transformed the coat beautifully! what a difference, and I love the floral detail on the back, it really is incredible, you have a great eye! and you look amazing in it, I love the way you have styled it! and yes to embarrassing the children, my eldest is a combination of horror and acceptance to some of my outfits, she's trying, bless her x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah! Your son's reaction is priceless! I love this jacket and it looks amazing! So talented :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqui, thanks for popping over and your lovely comments.

      Delete
  5. That's beautiful. What a gift being able to see the potential in an item and pulling it together.

    That's what makes your son uncomfortable? Oh dear, he wouldn't last five minutes around here. I suppose that's a rite of passage, being embarrassed by your parents.

    I really can't get over how you transformed that coat into something that looks so chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Goody, thank you - I'm having much more fun with the way I dress since I started blogging and, thinking of you, I bought another bangle in my lunch time trawl of the charity shops today.

      Delete
  6. Jayne this is so gorgeous and I want to be your best friend so you will make one for me too! Of course it is your job to embarrass your teenaged son. All good mothers do that! I'm very sad that mine is no longer embarrassed by me and just thinks I'm cool. What the heck am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawna, thank you. This project required very limited skills - cutting up a frock, bit of hand stitching - I haven't done blanket stitch since Brownies - and crochet for the flowers.
      Maybe my son will think I'm cool one day, he needs to leave home first though I think before that will ever happen.

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness you bring back memories mentioning blanket stitch and Brownies. I have always had my eye out for the right denim jacket to decorate in some way, though I was leaning towards sewing on little glass beads. I haven't found the jacket yet, but look whenever I'm at the thrift shops.

      Delete
  7. What an utterly brilliant transformation. The back is especially wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're one creative genius. I think your sons reaction is part of the joys of motherhood ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, thanks for popping over. I think because I had nothing to lose if this project didn't work out I was very relaxed about the whole thing and just gave it a go.

      Delete
  9. Oh yes! Absolutely brilliant transformation...it works a treat.Love it.
    Where's the fun if you can't embarrass a teenager once in a while? I hope you have worn it out lots of times.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  10. This is an AMAZING transformation, Jayne! You did wonderfully great, and I hope to see more of your creations. The back of the coat just makes me smile it's statement of Spring, isn't it? Love your styling very much! And oh so glad that you revised your NY resolution. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a coat to make me smile, so I'm glad it makes you smile too!

      Delete
  11. What you did to that coat is soooooo up my alley. love it all, and I am glad to have found you.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done a great transformation with your coat! I think the back is a pleasant surprise! And yes , sometimes is great fun to embarass a teenager, it makes for memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think it was more a shock to my son!

      Delete
  13. I think its beautiful!!! This is my first visit here, I will enjoy coming again and again!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what you did with that coat! That's exactly the kind of thing I've been planning to do with several things - so far I've done one. Having one-of-a-kind clothes is so worth the effort, I just need more time.

    ReplyDelete