Saturday, 1 November 2014

A trip up North and back to work

Although I am from the North of England, I don't get up there that much but last week I had the opportunity to take my daughter on a trip to show her a bit of her 'northern roots'.

She found the way everyone calls each other 'Duck ' and no one bothers with the word 'the' highly amusing.  She told me she thought these traits were over exaggerated stereotypes and didn't realise this is really how it is up North. 

Bakewell pudding in the town of Bakewell was approved of at the Original Bakewell Pudding shop Her first ever curry in a curry house in the village where I grew up went down well.  A quirky vegetarian cafe and a homity pie was also a hit in Beans of Bolsover

When we weren't eating we managed a walk around the estate grounds of Chatsworth:



Along with a mooch round two antique/vintage centres, which produced a find:



My daughter found the larger vase up North
and the smaller one locally when we got back

We had time to visit to the English Heritage Castle where her Grandad used to work and made an emotional trip to the Crematorium where her Grandma and Grandad's ashes are scattered.

We stayed with an old school friend and she and one of her daughters (my god-daughter) were able to take time off work so it was lovely to be able to spend some time with them both and the rest of her family.

A charity shop tour and visit to a fabulous tea room in the town of Chesterfield where we had a lovely lunch with my brother completed the trip:


Stephensen's Tea Rooms

I had the 'back at work blues' this week and it's taken me all week to adjust back into my usual schedule.

xx


13 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful for you and your daughter. I am also a northern mum down south but in the US! I love taking my family up north so they can see why I am like I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely to show my daughter where I grew up and you have hit the nail on the head Connie, it shows why I am like I am xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, you were back on home territory, and just down the road from me! How lovely to be able to show your daughter around Derbyshire. Was it Bolsover Castle where your dad worked? I really like it there.
    Stephenson's - now why haven't I been there?
    I can understand the back to work/routine blues, I always get a dose of them too after a fab trip away... Come up again, and I'll meet you for a wander round the flea market! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't made it to the flea market as Thursday was the only time we had to go to Bolsover Castle. Next time . . .

      I can recommend Stephensons - it's in between lots of charity shops too xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh, Jayne, how wonderful to have such a special trip with your daughter! Chatsworth - we're currently watching 'Death come to Pemberley" !!!
    And how I remember those back-to-work blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a special trip Carol.
      I haven't seen Death comes to Pemberley but Chatsworth was one of the locations used in filming. My friend goes every year to the Christmas market held in the grounds, which apparently is really lovely. xx

      Delete
  5. I always find it hard to settle down after traveling. It's just so interesting and fun! I need to spend more time in the north of England. Nice you got to be there with your daughter and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's always something special about heading back home ... even if it hasn't been home for a very long time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember visits home with my own mother to see her elderly relations as slightly terrifying. As strange local foodstuffs go, curry and Bakewell pudding sound rather nice.

    That must have been so nice to have such a meaningful visit home with your daughter. And it looks like you found Mother/Daughter vases (that's how they look to me). I have been considering a similar trip to my home with my son, but I'm not sure I'm up to it emotionally yet (I only left there 25 years ago...I need time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of the two vases in that way Goody but that's a good way to view them. Travelling back up North did stir up lots of emotions.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like you had a good and emotional trip. Such times shared with our children help us understand each other better and, hopefully, connect on a deeper level... it sounds to me you did both! Photos are beautiful, as always. Hope your coming back to work will have some fun elements too. :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Less than 10 miles outside Liverpool the word 'the' gets lost too or it's pronounced 't', I love all of that! I'm glad you had a fab time back on your home turf and I hope the back to work blues have passed x x x

    ReplyDelete