Tuesday, 18 November 2014

A day trip to London

A couple of Fridays ago Mr NMDS, my daughter and I took a day trip to London to see the Poppies at the Tower of London, read more about the poppies at the Tower here.




It was a spectacular sight and I'm glad we managed to get up there to see it.

While we were in London we also went to see the Derren Brown portrait exhibition in the West End - read more about his exhibition here.  We have seen his stage show many times and his portraits were an interesting side to his many talents.

We wanted to see Grayson Perry's portraits in the National Portrait Gallery but we ran out of time as we had organised to have afternoon tea at the Wallace Collection, which is just behind Selfridges on Oxford Street - Wallace Collection link.  Unfortunately, they had run out of cake stands so our afternoon tea lacked a bit of theatre - as there was a  large group in that day, our french waiter also had to argue his case to get his hands on our cake and finger sandwiches from another waiter who wanted to take them to his large group - that was quite funny - not sure I would rush back for afternoon tea but it's a nice, calm venue (waiters' arguing aside) for tea and cake amidst the hustle and bustle of Oxford Street and we enjoyed ourselves at any rate.  Grayson Perry will have to wait for another time.

It was just getting dark when we left to go home so we managed to see the lights in Oxford Street and Selfridges' legendary Christmas window displays.



Selfridges' windows have a Paddington theme this year

It was good to get a city fix

xx


10 comments:

  1. You are making me miss London! So many great things to do. Glad you got to see the poppies at the Tower. I thought it was SO moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia, I do love the lights at Christmastime in London. I will go again just before Christmas to see a ballet at The Royal Opera House - never been to the Opera House before and wanted to experience the building aswell as the ballet so a friend and I hatched a plan to go.

      Delete
  2. The poppies exhibit sounded like a thoughtfully done memorial (I know there was some complaint, but isn't there always?) that must have been very emotional to see. I'm teaching WWI this semester, and the numbers of dead (some just on the first day of a battle) are staggering.

    I would LOVE to see some Christmas windows. They made a (pathetic) attempt to recreate old department store windows in a new development in our city, but if felt...worse than a cheap substitute. Glad to see the tradition is still alive and well in London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Goody, I thought the poppies tribute to the fallen of WW1 was a lovely thing and I loved the way volunteers got involved to assemble and plant every single poppy.

      Delete
  3. I have memories from childhood of going to London at Christmas to see the lights, the shop windows, and some years (if we were lucky) go and see a pantomime. It was very exciting! Haven't been to Oxford Street for a long time though.
    Glad you had a good day, despite the waiter contretemps! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there no limit to Derren Brown's many talents? I can't believe he can draw as well as everything else he can do. Blimey..... Anyway, glad you had a lovely day in London. I never got to see the poppies but they do look very impressive. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jayne, how wonderful to see those magnificent poppies in person! I have been awe of that project as I have seen it on the news.
    Thanks for the link to Derren Brown - I have never heard of him before.
    What lovely street and shop lights. "Tis the season. And glad you got your city fix. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great day out and very cultured too ;0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the Poppy Memorial was so moving - I haven't been to London in years, it all looks and sounds like a wonderful day, I really like Grayson Perry's work, and I really need to accept Christmas is coming! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many moving things to experience, I am glad that you took your time to visit London (and I could visit on my bed with you :). I have not realized that it is 100 years since the WWI started, now it makes even more sense when I reflect back on the symphony concert I just wrote about - it all was dedicated to that time period of our history (the dates of the war would be slightly different for Russians, so I did not get the connection right away). It looks like a very touching, powerful memorial even from the small photos. I can imagine that it was so moving to see in person. I did now know who Derren Brown was, but I admire creative people, and he is very talented, both his photography and acrylic portraits are fantastic. I especially loved Dame Maggie Smith portrait, but it's probably because she is the only one I am familiar with in this series. :)

    London and the whole England and UK is a dream for me... some day, some day...

    Glad to read your post, Jayne! Have a wonderful rest of the week, and beyond. :) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete