- hand made dress
- netty underskirt
- vase
- comb
- nail varnish
- fig & cassis handcream
- vintage tin
- another dress for my daughter
We have recently discovered a new car boot sale as our usual one has gone downhill a bit. At our last visit we bumped into our ex-postman who had a stall with his mum and he told us to try the one we went to today - thank you Mr Postman.
This hand made dress came from a very nice lady who told me she made it herself in the 60s but never finished it, so consequently never wore it. In order to put it on her stall today, she had taken up the hem to finish it off all these years later. I love a back-story to my clothing and great to meet the seamstress.
Original hand made 60s frock £1
Photo by my dear son who has now finished his exams
so can no longer use revision as an excuse
not to do the stuff I ask him to do
I investigated netty underskirts a while ago, they are not cheap to buy new and the more layers of netting you have the more expensive they become.
I was delighted therefore to find this three layer (yes, 3 layer)
netty underskirt today
This will give extra swooshiness to some of my frocks
I liked the shape of this vase and
was looking for something similar last Christmas to put baubles in
I like to wear nail varnish on my toes -
this colour matches my swimming cossie
A handy size comb to take to the pool
Some interesting sounding hand cream
Which smells very nice
I do love a nice tin
This is an old Bluebird confectionery tin
I always have craft stuff to put in tins
My daughter and I had a long chat on the way back as to whether she would be a charity shop/car boot sale lover if I wasn't. She thinks she would. Impossible to know really. Today she was looking for a dress. Luckily three girls her age had a stall with her sort of stuff:
Bit of a vintage vibe going on and just her style
She is very pleased but wants me to alter it to sleeveless
Eeek, I'll do my best. I tried folding the sleeves under but
I am going to have to commit and get the scissors out.
She wants to wear it on Wednesday so I need to be bold.
Linking in with the lovely Patti and the other visibles for Visible Monday
xx







Very good day shopping! I really like your 60's dress and the price cannot be beat. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry. If you mess up short sleeves, you can go for a halter top. Ha! Good luck. Great finds. And yes, I enjoy hearing the story behind the garment. Glad you found this sale.
ReplyDeleteI adore a good frock backstory too and that's a good one to go with such a lovely frock. The sleeves are gorgeous! Hooray to netty skirts at bargain prices!
ReplyDeleteHooray indeed to netty underskirts, I saw the netting poking out of a big pile of clothes and my heart skipped a beat as I pulled it out of the pile to reveal all it's netty gloriousness.
DeleteOh you had a very successful shopping trip! I know that game you mentioned as "I pack my bag to go west and in it I put.."
ReplyDeleteI love both of the dresses! Great finds and yours has a cool story. what a pretty garden you have. I'd like to see more!
xoxoxo
What a funny story about the dress, that she didn't finish it but kept it this long! I guess it was just waiting for you.
ReplyDeleteI love that little tin - so kitsch, so cute!
I have just seen some of your work of art tins via a link in Melanie's post, they are just fantastic.
DeleteWhat a pretty blue dress! You look lovely in it, Jayne! Your son did a great job on the photo too. And your garden looks so beautiful and lush (mine too, but mostly with weeds). Love the nail polish (that's what we call it here), and the tin is adorable! Here is my list from a couple of thrift shops today:
ReplyDelete- 2 summer dresses (both new styles to me)
- 18 plates + 8 cups with fruit design (!)
- 1 pretty Spanish glass bottle (for home made salad dressing or vinegar)
- 1 tile picture
- 3 candle sticks
....
It's interesting how we take some things from our Mums, and how we run in opposite direction in others... My Mom grew up in a village, very poor family. Mom loves everything new and modern. I grew up without much money troubles (we did not have lots, but we were OK for our country and those times), and I love old stuff and thrift shops...
I know a game similar to what you described, played it.
The dress for your daughter is great! Best of luck alterating it! xxxx
They are candle holders, sorry! And I got a tin! :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you did really well at the thrift shops today Natalia. A good addition to your fruit crockery collection, other things for the home and new dresses for yourself - that sounds like a good day out to me.
DeleteI love and WANT your gorgeous blue dress, ahhhhhhhhhhhh
ReplyDeleteHappy Monday
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
A very worthwhile shopping trip indeed, love the blue dress and its history,the flouncy underskirts a great buy. Best of luck with your sewing.
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool that you got to know exactly how this fun dress came into existence!
ReplyDeleteThat dress is a great find ... and how fabulous that it came from the original seamstress. Your daughters dress is lovely too ... but I like the sleeves ... I'd leave it just as it is.
ReplyDeletexx
I did suggest that to her but she was very sure she wanted it without. It is now sleeveless, not without drama as my sewing machine decided it didn't like the cotton which matched her dress - long story involving much unpicking!
DeleteThe 60's dress is fab! and with a story too! the dress finally got worn, it must have been chuffed (I know, I personify clothes, I can't help it!) your daughters dress is so pretty, I hope all went well removing the sleeves and you really can't beat a petticoat for prancing about in, they really do fill out a skirt quite beautifully x x x
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to seeing the daughter's dress sans sleeves!
ReplyDeleteLove the dress on you, and the photo - good job, son. And I'm seriously envious of the petticoats.
Oh my. You did very well at that car boot sale. The dress is just perfect for you. Netty Underskirt. I love that. It sounds like Harry Potter character.
ReplyDeleteConnie that made me laugh, Netty Underskirt does sound like a HP character
DeleteI just love the 1960s dress (like you, I'm a sucker for a back story) and the petticoat, both were great finds. The tin is adorable too. Good luck with altering the dress for your daughter! xxx
ReplyDeleteI love the 1960s dress it looks fantastic on you! That toffee tin is in our friends' swanky vintage homeware shop, it's a good 'un.
ReplyDeleteJon and I often drive back chuckling about our finds. xxx
That's a gorgeous blue dress . . . whenever I go to boot sales I only seem to find jigsaw puzzles with pieces missing and cracked crockery :-(
ReplyDeleteI love reading your blog, you always make me smile :-)
Louisa
https://styleover60.wordpress.com/
Thanks for visiting - perhsps you need to get up earlier for the boot sales :)
DeleteGreat haul! Such a lot of pretty things from a boot sale! Great dress for you, and I'm with your daughter on hers ... better sleeveless but delicious either way! Come on ... chop chop! (HA!)
ReplyDeleteWhat is wrong with Blogger of late? My comments keep being eaten. Grr.
ReplyDeleteThe dress is beautiful, and it must have made the woman happy to know her creation is finally getting a wear.